Fretting over career options? Worry no more! Pedagoge brings you a few offbeat career options along with top institutions where the courses are taught.
Film and TV
There is more to careers in the Film and TV industry than acting and drama. There are opportunities beyond the screen than what meets the eye. One can try for a career as a makeup artist, cinematographer, director, sound editor, film editor, script writer and the list is endless!
A lot of institutes offer guided media courses to ensure that aspirants get to know the nitty-gritty of the industry. Most of these courses are offered at graduation as well as postgraduate levels. One can also opt for diploma, post graduate diploma and short certificate courses. Such courses prepare you for varied aspects of the film and television industry including production, direction, editing, cinematography, animation, acting, sound engineering, makeup, photography, film processing etc.
In order to be eligible for the graduate level course, one has to pass the Higher Secondary Examination(10+2) from any stream, from a recognized board. For postgraduate courses, students will have to be graduates from any recognized University. Most of the Institutes carry out final selection based on the results of the aptitude tests and interviews testing the caliber of the candidates. Post the completion, the students stand a chance to be hired by the leading media houses, film studios, production companies etc depending on their area of specialization.
Some of the prominent institutes in India that offer courses in the field of film and television studies are :
- Film and Television Institute of India (FTII Pune),
- Xaviers Institute of Communication (Mumbai),
- Center for Research in Art of Film and Television (Delhi),
- Flash Frame Visuals Academy of Film and Video Editing (Bangalore),
- Film and Television Institute of Tamil Nadu (Chennai),
- Fortune Institute of Communication and Television (New Delhi),
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC) New Delhi,
- Institute of New Media Development and Research (Pune),
- National Institute of Film and Fine Arts (NIFFA) Kolkata,
- Satyajit Ray Film & Television Institute. (SRFTI), Kolkata
- Whistling Woods International, Mumbai
Like we have mentioned before, prior to enrolling yourself in any college or institute for any course, do adequate research. Talk to your seniors, peers, relatives, and teachers for advice. You can even seek professional career counselling for expert guidance.